Galveston 2nd week of March

General Saltwater Fishing Forum for Extreme Coast (Specializing in Texas, Florida, the Gulf of Mexico, and beyond)

Moderators: Oz, repofish, Torpedo, admin, Rockstar, Curmit, Skipjack, Tiburon

Galveston 2nd week of March

Postby jimk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 pm

After having success during the first week of March in Galveston shark fishing for the first time I was excited to see if things would continue. Chris and I cleared our schedules for the second week and hoped the weather forecast would hold which seemed like it would allow us to shark fish most of the week. We each headed down Saturday night and planned on hitting the beach front early Sunday before the front with hopes of filling a bait cooler that would allow us to shark fish for a while. We get started a little later then we wanted to and end up getting slammed by the front. Despite the windy conditions fishing is good and we are noticing life that we don't always see in this area. Chris landed this beautiful smooth butterfly fly that he released.

I landed a couple of pregnant smooth dogfish that were released as well. I have only seen them once before on the beach front.

Despite releasesing those fish by the time we quit fishing we each have a nice cooler of bait. Chris's cooler.

My cooler.

The next day the surf is still rough but the wind is blowing hard out of the North and as the day progresses the surf begins to lay and we eventually get baits out. Later on in the day our buddies Mark and Ron show up and get baits out as well. When the tide begins to drop in the evening Mark and Ron eventually have there lines get crouted out. I watched them reel in hundreds of pounds of it but Chris and I both have our rods up high and are fortunate to avoid it for the time being. Eventually Chris has a hit but it drops slack in his line and it eventually gets crouted out. Later on another one of his rods faces the same fate and around 2:00 in the morning he reels in his last rod and heads to the house. I am left with 3 baits out that have been untouched. In the morning I wake up to nice conditions and all of my baits holding good. I go see what Chris is up to and notice one of my rods slack up. Moments later it takes off and I am hooked up. Ends up being a nice 6'7" morning sandbar.

Chris soon gets out a couple baits and I get out another. Chris has something messing around with one of his baits for quite a while and eventually his weight pulls and we are pretty sure it is a small shark hooked. Moments later I hook up but the hook pulls 5 minutes into the fight. Chris's fish ends up being a small sandbar.

We each get out a couple more baits and are set for the day.

Chris hooks up a little while later. 5'5" sandbar

After that shark Chris's camera died and mine had already died the day before so we were now reduced to a camera phone. Anyways as it begins to get dark I hook up on a fresh sheepshead I caught that day. 5'5" sandbar, what a waste.

We put a tag in that fish and I am now out of the tags I was sent a couple weeks ago. With no camera and no tags I am pretty sure we are about to catch some fish. Sure enough a little while later I hook up on a nice fish. 7'3" sandbar

A couple friends of mine show up and I take off for a few minutes with them not expecting my last rod to hook up due to the bait being in the water for almost 35 hours. When we return sure enough Chris is hooked up on that bait and it ends up being a nice 7' sandbar.

I have now had all my baits knocked out and prepare to head to the house. Chris reels in his rods eventually and finds that his baits have been mangled. We both crash out and rest up for the next day. The next day we wake up to amazing conditions with light wind and flat surf. We decide to try to make some fresh bait before shark fishing. Bait fishing is slow and the crout is horrible on top of that. Around mid morning a brisk Northeasterly breeze begins and we quit trying to catch bait and go see if it is even possible to get out baits. The surf has drastically picked up and the current is horrible but the forecast calls for the wind to back off so we decide to wait until later in the afternoon to get baits out. Sure enough the wind dies and I am the first to get out baits. Upon returning to the beach the first bait I take out gets hit and hooks up. I get some people to help me out with the fish and a photo because Chris was getting out his baits. Ends up being a 7'2" sandbar.

Memory gets a little hazy about what happened next but Chris hooked up at around 2:00 in the morning and landed this 6'7" sandbar.

The next day begins and I hook up on a bait that had been since the day before. 7'4" sandbar

Later on in the day I hook up on a nice fish that breaches twice, one time 10 minutes into the fight. Ends up being a extremely pregnant 7'5' sandbar.

Chris is up next on a bait that had been out since the day before. 6'11" sandbar.

We still have out a few good baits and as it gets dark we are confident we will get a couple more fish. Our buddy Ted who showed up the day before hooks up on a good fish. Ends up being another 6'11" sandbar.

Later on during the night Chris and I both hook up and loose nice fish but things are quite until the morning when I hook up and land a sandbar. 7'3"

That fish took out my remaining bait I had out and I head off the beach and do a little organizing at the house. I decide to head into town and see if I can generate some fresh bait. I meet up with Mark and he is getting ready to get out some baits off the seawall. I help him tie a knot and get on my mission to get bait. I strike out at one spot but another produces a couple monster sheepshead. 7 and 9 pounds roughly.

I get out a few baits and as soon as I get back from dropping my 3rd I hook up and pull the hook. I get that bait back out and my rods begin to get steadily hit. Eventually I hook up on a good fish then another rod hooks up. I am fighting two fish at the same time one in the harness the other in the holder. Fortunately Ted shows up after returning from town and helps me out. 7'4" and 5'9" Sandbar.

I get out both the rods that got knocked out and just before dark Ted gets out a bait. As he is getting that bait out I hook up and pull the hook well into the fight. I reel in that rod and find the bait still intact so I strip out of my cloths and sacrifice some dry pants and get that bait back out. Ted hooks up shortly after I get back to the beach. He ends up pulling the hook on that fish as well. I get dried off and Chris and Ted head into town to gig with our buddy Matt. I have out two real good baits that I have alot of confidence in and I am sure something will happen sooner then later. Sure enough before Chris and Ted even make it to the gig spot I hook up. It ends up getting tangled in one of my lines but fortunately a couple of Chris's cousins friends help me deal with the mess and I end up with another sandbar over 7.

I stripped down to my sweatpants to handle that fish since my waders were at the house, but I have Chris's cousins friends run me back to the house and I get my wet suit on and have them turn the truck lights on the water and I get out the same two baits. I get run back to the house and get dried off and dropped back off at the beach. I through my waders in the cousin's friends truck and when we get back to the beach they take off but say they will be back in a few so I am glad I won't be by myself with two primo baits out. Anyways they end up disappearing to never return and I end up doubling up on two big fish. One ends up breaking off but I land the other and get someone to take a picture who later emailed it to me. Thanks buddy

I end up soaking all my dry clothes and decide to wrap up the trip and head back to Friendswood. Meanwhile Chris, Ted and Matt had some success gigging.

Mark also had some success off the Seawall.

The next day was Saturday and Chris and Ted took it easy most of the day. Later in the day Ted gets out a bait and would of got out two but it was a little rough. He ended up with this 6'6" sandbar on the one bait he got out though.

The next day Chris and Ted wrapped up there shark fishing but Mark gave it another shot off the seawall and landed a couple more nice sandbars. 7'4"

6'10"

That wrapped up an outstanding week of weather and fishing for my friends and I and I can't wait to see how the rest of the year unfolds.
Last edited by jimk on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimk
Rockstar Mullet

Re: Galveston 2nd week of March

Postby Oz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:50 am

HOLY CRAP. Now that is a report!

I have never hear of the smooth dogfish from the surf... I caught mine on the bottom in 600' of water. WILD!

Man, EPIC!!

Thanks guys!
-Oz
Oz
Bad MOFO
Bad MOFO

Postby SurfRunner » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:03 am

Nice report as always Jim!
SurfRunner
EC CLASSIFIED
EC CLASSIFIED

Postby what » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:11 am

Damn! Those are some nice fish!
Joe
what
EC Rockstar

Postby Texsharker88 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:16 am

Man thats an epic G-town report Awesome. Where those sharks on the seawall caught on casted baits?
Texsharker88
Shark Guru

Postby HuntinForTail » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:53 am

Definitely an epic report. Congrats. I'm heading down this weekend. I hope the sandies are still there.
HuntinForTail
Da Man

Postby ElTiburon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:01 am

Killin it man
~El T

Valiente pescador, al anzuelo que tiraste en vez de una sardina, un tiburón enganchaste
ElTiburon
Tarpon God

Postby Mythman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Outstanding trip, report and catches. Congrats guys! :rockin
Mythman
EC Rockstar

Postby gordadude » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Y'all are puttin a hurtin on those sharks in galveston!! Awesome report! :rockin
gordadude
Rockstar Tiki

Postby rb1685 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:49 pm

That is an insane amount of sharks caught. Looks like it was an awesome trip!!!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is large enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson
rb1685
Rockstar Tiki

Postby elrush22 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:29 pm

Awesome guys! Great Report
elrush22
Bait

Postby oscar@CBF » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:34 pm

U guys rock. Do the drum work as good as the sheephead?
Fish HARD or stay Home with your Mommy!
oscar@CBF
-eXtreme- Bait

Postby Ace » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Kick-ass report man. Y'all have been slaying them this year!

Congrats!
- Cody
Ace
Elite Rockstar

Postby Seaborn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Absolutely amazing :rockin
That's a tremendous amount of quality sized fish, you guys are really doing it right down there. Hope those Sandbars stick around for a little while longer.
Seaborn
Quint

Postby Retired And Fishing » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 pm

NICE CATCH FOLKS!
Retired And Fishing
Tiki God

Next

Return to EC General Saltwater Forum